Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Phox Phanatics

The Phox Phanatics are my family in Philadelphia.  They are, of course, so excited about the Phillies winning the National League Pennant.  I, despite being a huge Mets fan, have a soft spot in my heart for the Phillies, only because of them.

Lisa, is my sister.  She was born and raised in Long Island.  She married Steve, a Dr, who is a Yankee fan, so he doesn't count.  They moved to Philadelphia.  Lisa wasn't very athletic while growing up, and not a big sports fan. Now, she plays golf and tennis, and is a huge sports fan. She has been born again.  Her religion is now baseball, specifically the Phillies.. 

Elizabeth, is my niece.  She is 24 years old.  She now lives and works in D.C..  Her second biggest passion is running, typically 15 miles at a time.  Of course, her number one passion is the Phillies. She keeps her autographed Matt Stairs baseball, by her bed, in a zip lock bag.  It is her priceless possession.

Eric is my nephew.  He is 22 years old and a senior at G.W. University.  He's a great athlete, plays soccer, tennis, and golf.  He became a big Phillies fan in 1993 at the age of six when the Phillies made it to the World Series against the Blue Jays.  Pat Burrell used to be his favorite player.  His second favorite team is the Mets, because of me.

It's been hard for me these past few years to see my Mets falter so badly, while the Phillies have flourished, and now vie for their second straight World Championship.  It will be easier to root for them now, as long as they play the Yankees.

I need to remind them that things can turn around very quickly.  Of course, you always have an open invitation for a Mets/Phillies series at Citifield next year.  And beware, wear your Phillies gear at your own risk.

Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment